The Marble House was built between 1888 et 1892 for Mr. and Mrs William K. Vanderbilt. It was built as their summer home or their cottage as the residents of Newport would call it as joke. Mr Vanderbilt was the grandson of Commodore Cornelius Vanderbilt made his fortune with Steamboats and the New York Central Railroad. His older brother Cornelius was the owner of The Breakers.